Your doctor should:
- Measure your blood pressure at every visit.
- Check your feet for sores at every visit, and give a thorough foot exam at least once a year.
- Give you a hemoglobin A1C test at least twice a year to determine what your average blood glucose level was for the past 2 to 3 months.
- Test your urine and blood to check your kidney function at least once a year.
- Test your blood lipids (fats)—total cholesterol; LDL, or low-density lipoprotein (“bad” cholesterol); HDL, or high-density lipoprotein (“good” cholesterol); and triglycerides at least once a year.
- You should also get a dental checkup twice a year, a dilated eye exam once a year, an annual flu shot, and a pneumonia shot.